Thursday, December 2, 2010

Father of Psychology

This semester I am enrolled in my first ever Psychology class. I decided to take the class because I needed one more credit to fill on my high school schedule. I entered the class with very low expectations and did not think that I would ever develop an interest for the subject. I started the semester off by learning about experimental statistics, parts of the brain, and functions of the body. Yuck! It was not until we started the chapter on behavior and personality that I found myself enjoying the reading assignments and applying my knowledge to everyday life. It was also during this same time that I was introduced to Sigmund Freud. His name began to pop up in the readings, videos, and discussions. Though his theories about dreams, the mind, and behavior are over one hundred years old, they are the backbone to many psychological findings today. Treating sexual desire as the driving force behind many of his theories, Freud questioned human behavior and the cognitive approach. He is referenced in almost every Psychology book and is the biggest contributor to the academic study of psychology. He has done research on dream analysis, sex drive, psychoanalysis, and the unconscious mind to name a few. By diving into the mind of Sigmund Freud and gaining an understanding of his theories, we can discover things that we did not know about our own behavior and the behavior of those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment